Carolyn’s Vitamin D Rich Quiche
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Baking Time: 30 to 40 minutes
1 Tablespoon Vitamin D fortified margarine
2 Tablespoons dry breadcrumbs
210g can Salmon, pink or red, drained
300g can whole corn kernels, drained
1/3 cup sliced spring onions
½ cup skim milk
1 cup grated reduced fat cheddar cheese
120g bag of baby spinach
2 teaspoons fish liver oil
2 Tablespoons of balsamic vinegar
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 25 cm quiche dish with Vitamin D fortified margarine. Sprinkle with the breadcrumbs.
2. Whisk eggs for 30 seconds, in a large bowl.
3. Stir into the eggs the, salmon, corn kernels, spring onions, skim milk and reduced fat cheese.
4. Pour mixture into the prepared quiche dish.
5. Bake until set and a knife inserted in centre comes out clean, for 30 minutes and then 10 minutes at 160 degrees, or until firm.
6. Serve while warm, with a tossed green salad of baby spinach and a balsamic vinegar and fish liver oil dressing.
Carolyn’s Nutrition Tips:
• Salmon, egg yolks and Vitamin D fortified margarine and fish liver oil, will significantly contribute to your vitamin D intake for the day.
• Reduced fat dairy products help reduce total fat in recipe for weight control.
• Baby spinach is rich in Vitamin C and beta-carotene.
Recipe Developed By: Carolyn Davis
Accredited Practising Dietitian